Sorghum For Weight Loss
Sorghum is the gluten free substitute for wheat with a smooth texture and mild sweet taste. It is a fiber rich content which helps to flush toxins out of the body resulting in weight loss. A lot of people have been consuming sorghum for weight loss, inflammation, diabetes and much more. Today at MyFitness7, we will discuss each and everything about sorghum and its weight loss advantage. However, here is a quick summary about this post, for you:
- 1 Benefits of Sorghum
- 2 Nutrients Composition of Sorghum
- 3 Sorghum Recipes & How to eat Sorghum?
- 4 Sorghum porridge for weight loss
- 5 Sorghum Health Benefits: Summarized
- 6 Sorghum for weight loss: Side Effects
Benefits of Sorghum
Sorghum is a type of gluten free grain which is rich in protein and fiber. It is the great alternative to wheat and rice. ¾ cup of sorghum grain or rice provides 8 grams of protein.
Sorghum is a phenolic rich compound with high antioxidants and fiber which helps reducing weight gain, inflammation, anti-cancer effects and more.
Below are the some of the benefits of sorghum for weight loss:
Sorghum for Weight Loss
Sorghum flour contains smooth texture with mild taste which can be the great alternative as dinner. Having sorghum as dinner will provide you fiber and protein, two nutrients which play major role in sorghum for weight loss. Fiber reduces your appetite and helps you eating less. Certain types of fiber also function as prebiotics. Protein on the other hand, helps in regulating hormones, metabolizing and burn calorie which directly helps in weight loss. A single serving of 15 grams of sorghum can contribute to 50% of daily recommended fiber intake.
Sorghum is rich in antioxidants which helps to fight inflammation. Antioxidants helps to counteract oxidative stress and neutralizes free radicle to reduce inflammation. It helps to protect cells and tissues from damage against reactive oxygen and other free radicals. Since, Sorghum is rich in antioxidants; it can be used to fight inflammation.
Sorghum helps to slow down the absorption of sugar and regulate the blood sugar level. Sorghum is made of 76% of complex carbohydrates which contains plenty of fiber and takes longer to digest simple carbs. Recent research has concluded, Sorghum and its supplements can significantly lower the cholesterol and liver cholesterol levels making sorghum for weight loss a great choice.
Rich in Several Nutrients
Sorghum is rich in nutrients like iron, fiber, antioxidants, protein, magnesium and more. All of these nutrients are vital for human body growth and on top it is gluten free. Minerals like iron and copper found in sorghum helps to regulate and boost blood circulation
As we continue to dive into sorghum for weight loss, let’s have a look on nutrients composition of sorghum.
Nutrients Composition of Sorghum
*Serving Size = 100 Grams
In comparison with wheat, Sorghum is low in the calorie, but has slightly more fats. However, its worth noting that sorghum is a gluten-free product whereas wheat is not. If you compare wheat and sorghum for weight loss, both are on same page but the only advantage being to sorghum is it’s the gluten free product.
Sorghum Recipes & How to eat Sorghum?
Now, we have a slight idea about what sorghum for weight loss means? Let’s learn some more about how to include sorghum in our daily diet.
1.5 cups of Sorghum Flour
0.5 tablespoon of garlic paste and chili paste
Chopped onions, coriander/ cilantro and tomato
Salt and oil
- Mix onion, coriander and keep aside in a plate.
- Add sorghum flour and mixed onion coriander into a big bowl, add tomatoes, garlic and chili paste and salt to it. Mix the paste with a little bit of water.
- Add more water and after some time.
- Take a small dough and press it with the hand to make it flat. Repeat the process until you finish the paste.
- Add oil to pan and lay down the flat part. Heat one side for 1.5 minutes and turn around and repeat. Make sure you press it gently in between.
- Your sorghum mix is ready to be served. Add some yoghurt and strawberries on top to give it more sweet taste.
1.5 cups of sorghum flour
2 tablespoons of sugar and baking powder each
½ tablespoon of salt
4 tablespoons of salted butter
1 tablespoon of buttermilk
2 eggs and ½ cup of water
- Whisk the mix into a large bowl and preheat a non-sticky pan over medium flame.
- Put few drops of mix into a pan to make sure pan is hot. (if the mix sizzles immediately, then its ready.)
- Take a cup and add ¼ cup of mix and pour it to pan.
- Cook it until the bubbles appear on the side and flip it and repeat.
- Remove the cooked pancakes, and serve warm with some syrup and fruits.
Sorghum Pecan Granola
½ cup of sorghum grains
2 cups of gluten free oats
½ cup of pecans
¼ tablespoon of salt and coconut oil
1/3 cup of maple syrup
1 tablespoon of cinnamon and dried cherries
- Mix everything on a small bowl thoroughly.
- Serve it as a breakfast.
Any of these receipes can help to get you through the sorghum for weight loss. Give it a try and let us know in comments.
Sorghum porridge for weight loss
Sorghum porridge is great source of protein and fiber which help in weight loss. 100 grams of sorghum porridge contains 10 grams of protein, 2 grams of gat and 3 grams of fiber along with 80 grams of carbohydrates. Sorghum porridge contains 38 kcal of calories which can be easily burnt by 1 minute of jogging or 30 seconds of cycling.
Sorghum porridge nutritional value (per 1 gram)
|Mono and poly unsaturated fats||0 g|
How to make sorghum porridge?
1 cup of sorghum
1 cup of water
2 cups of milk
1 tablespoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of cinnamon, salt, butter and maple syrup
1 tablespoon of peanut butter
- Add sorghum flour, water, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Add extra milk and let it to soak for 15 minutes.
- (Optional) Fry bananas in butter and honey in a pan.
- Pour the porridge in to a small bowl, top with banana and peanut butter.
- Serve it.
Sorghum Health Benefits: Summarized
- It helps in preventing cancer.
- Sorghum improves heart health.
- It is great for inflammation and enhancing energy levels.
- Boosts blood circulation.
- Improve bone health.
- Sorghum helps in weight loss and is great for digestive health.
- It controls diabetes.
Sorghum for weight loss: Side Effects
One of the major health risks of sorghum is, its potential as an allergen. Allergies associated with grasses and pollen are extremely common in sorghum. Sorghum is a grass and is famous to produce allergic reaction in some people. Allergy includes itchy mouth, swelling around mouth, abdominal area, nausea, vomiting and fainting. Severe food allergy can be life threatening if not treated in time. Sorghum for weight loss is a great choice, however you need to consider about its allergic nature.
If you are picking sorghum for weight loss, these are all the aspects you need to know before you start. Don’t forget to check Nescafe black coffee for weight loss. If you have more question about sorghum, we are happy to assist you. Kindly comment below, we will reply with an answer as soon as we can.